The first silent movie ever made in the U.S. was filmed in Milford, Pike County in 1912. Mary Pickford, queen of the silent film era, starred in The Informer produced by D.W. Griffith. The Informer was one of two films made in northeastern Pennsylvania in 1912, the other film, A Feud in the Kentucky Hills was shot in Pike County as well. DW Griffith brought his troupe of 40 actors known as the Biograph players to Milford, Pennsylvania to utilize the local terrain. The troupe stayed at the Sawkill House in Milford and used locations overlooking the Delaware River and used many local extras in the films, including Ernest Wood.
In 1927, the film industry visited Milford again to shoot The Strength of the Weak and used many locals as extras.